Stacey's bookshelf: read

The Fault in Our Stars
Gone Girl
Beautiful Disaster
Hopeless
Angels & Demons
Blindsighted
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
Triptych
Twilight
The Hunger Games
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Fifty Shades of Grey
Message in a Bottle
The Notebook
The Host
Angels' Blood
My Sister's Keeper
Good in Bed


Stacey Broadbent's favorite books »

Wednesday, 20 July 2016

What Makes a Man? by H.Q. Frost


What Makes a Man? by H.Q. Frost
Available Friday 22nd July!

I was lucky enough to read this in advance, and I loved it.  H.Q. Frost has a talent for creating characters who get under your skin.
I'll post my review below!

SYNOPSIS:

Every action has a reaction. 

First impressions don’t always tell the story in tow. 

When Dom meets Nyla, it’s under dangerous, deceiving circumstances. But

when the truth comes out, Nyla is certain Dom is the ‘good book’ she needs.

She's convinced the pages they’ll write together will give her the happy ending

she expects. They just have to make it out of the ghetto that’s been sucking the

life from Dom since he can remember. He knows the man he wants to be will

never develop in that city. People change everyday and Dom is determined to

change for her, but there’s one thing he can’t change and it’s the one thing she

can’t accept. 

The world keeps turning through the choices they make and they learn the hard

way that every action has a reaction. 

Everyone deserves the chance to write the pages to their own book.






SNIPPET:

“I'm probably not like the typical dudes you know in Seattle, Nyla. I think I made that obvious with the way we met. You're in a bad neighborhood surrounded by worse people."

"I don't judge a book by its cover," she mumbled.

It was a strange way to make friends, but by the end of their breakfast, he wanted to see her again. Being attracted to her was alluring, but just because she was beautiful didn't mean she was worth his time. After an hour together, he wanted to feed his curiosity about the trusting girl.




LINKS:






My Review
****Four Stars****

I am already a fan of HQ Frost's writing, and this certainly doesn't disappoint!

What Makes a Man? tells the story of Dom and Nyla. They meet under extreme circumstances, but even so, they are drawn to each other like a moth to a flame. Dom is desperate to turn his life around and become the 'good book' that Nyla needs him to be. He hates his hometown and Nyla is both his shot at happiness, and a way to escape the town that is dragging him down.

As per usual, HQ has created a group of characters that you can't help but love (or hate as the case may be). I found I was on a roller-coaster of emotions throughout this book as I fell in love with some characters, and despised others. This book has everything - love, angst, jealousy, hatred, despair, and above all else, hope.

And I was not expecting the twist. Not at all. I don't like to give spoilers, so you'll just have to read it to find out! It was such a good twist, though it changed my opinion of a certain character for their reaction. That is all I will say!

I can't wait to see where HQ takes this story!

No comments:

Post a Comment