Stacey's bookshelf: read

The Fault in Our Stars
Gone Girl
Beautiful Disaster
Hopeless
Angels & Demons
Blindsighted
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
Triptych
Twilight
The Hunger Games
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Fifty Shades of Grey
Message in a Bottle
The Notebook
The Host
Angels' Blood
My Sister's Keeper
Good in Bed


Stacey Broadbent's favorite books »

Thursday, 13 October 2016

Review: Robbed

Robbed Robbed by C.L. Sayers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

C.L. Sayers is a new author to me, and I feel so privileged that I was given the opportunity to read this book before it's release. I find it so hard to believe that this is her first novel, it was written so well! The eloquent language used was a breath of fresh air.

I was drawn in right from the very first chapter. The torment the main character had to deal with during her school years is just heartbreaking. I, myself, have not had the pain of having to deal with bullies firsthand, but I have been witness to the effects it has had on others close to me, and I know how much they were hurting. This author has captured the emotions perfectly. All I wanted was to pull her into my arms and cradle her, protect her from the horrid girls who tortured her every day. She was a shell of a girl, hiding away from prying eyes, trying not to be noticed.

And then we get to see her years later, a successful published author and lecturer. A woman who has worked hard to get to where she is, in both her work and herself. With new friends and a semblance of confidence, she has moved on with her life.

I loved seeing her grow in confidence as the story went on. Seeing her realise that she is beautiful and worthy of happiness.
I loved watching the relationship blossom between her and the one who broke her heart all those years ago. Seeing them open up to each other, and somehow re-establish that trust and love that had been lost.

Something I really appreciated was that the main character was a curvy girl who had struggled with her weight. I was able to relate to that feeling of dread when someone touches your stomach for the first time and you can't help but suck in, hoping that they won't notice the extra layers, or the stretch marks or jiggly bits. I think every girl has had that feeling at some point in their lives - that they're not quite up to standard. I love the way this author tackled it, making it so that she forgot about her insecurities. She was happy in her own skin.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author.

Blurb
Can two wrongs make a Mr. Right?

Olivia Murphy thought she’d managed to get a handle on her life.

Robbed of her strength and confidence at school by a group of bullies, she fought back. She made a new life for herself. A new name. After losing her soon to be fiancé in a car accident she sought out the armour she developed in school and refused to have anything more in her stolen.

Until she comes face to face with one of her tormentors. The one she trusted most of all. Who not only broke her psyche, but her heart too. Fintan Kelly.

Olivia decides that for once she’s going to steal something back, revenge. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth and his heart for her heart.

Will her quest to avenge the wrongs from her past give her the closure she hopes? Or will she find that no matter how much of yourself, or your past, you try to change some wounds are so deep you don’t even realise you’re keeping them open.

Lies and misunderstandings from a mutually troubled past will either bring this couple together or rob them both of everything important.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment