Stacey's bookshelf: read

The Fault in Our Stars
Gone Girl
Beautiful Disaster
Hopeless
Angels & Demons
Blindsighted
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
Triptych
Twilight
The Hunger Games
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Fifty Shades of Grey
Message in a Bottle
The Notebook
The Host
Angels' Blood
My Sister's Keeper
Good in Bed


Stacey Broadbent's favorite books »

Monday, 8 May 2017

An interview with Donna, the Wise Owl


We have a new blogger being interviewed!  Give it up for Donna!


Which blog do you review for?  Provide links.

I run Wise Owls PR on Facebook.. I’m an equal opportunity pimper. 🌞 If an author writes it, I’ll promote it on the page.

I have several wonderful pimpers who promote authors on Wise Owls PR. Deb, Melissa, Nikki, Gina--you ladies are a blessing to authors.

I shut down the blog page because it was becoming too time consuming. It was taking the pleasure out of reading, reviewing, and promoting.



What do you love about reviewing books?

I’m an ARC reader for several authors. I really enjoy getting to know the authors and what to expect from their books. Even if they write in several genres, I know I am going to read an awesome story. I read and review when I sign up for tours, also. I have read so many new-to-me authors who are now on my one-click list.

I also love reviewing books because it is free advertising  for authors. If my review leads someone to buy a book, then hopefully they will recommend the book, and the author makes enough money to keep writing. That is a win-win all around.


Who have been some of your favourite new-to-you authors?

All the indie authors were new to me when I started reviewing. Celina Grace was the first author I read and reviewed for. Her Kate Redman Mysteries have a strong female detective who is respected by her peers. A wonderful series. I can’t remember how I found her books but I’m glad I did.

I hate to name a few of my favorite authors because there are so many. I know I’ll leave out some. Here is a partial list, in no particular order: A.D. Ellis, Annabeth Albert, Anna Celeste Burke, Casey Clipper, Kristi Cramer, Grace Augustine, Joanne Jaytanie-Duncan, Jean Oram, Jennie Moen, Melissa Storm, Michelle Irwin, Michelle Windsor, Serenity Woods, Allyson R Abbott, Alison Golden, Emma Nichols, Kelly Collins, Kait Nolan, Kimberly Loth, Kellie McAllen, Mallory Crowe, Marianne Rice, Kelly Collins, Mark Dawson, Tracey Alvarez, Tracey Pederson, and the list goes on.



If you could say anything to authors, what would it be?

Make sure your story is proofread/well-edited. Don’t scrimp by being your own editor/proofreader. It shows in the finished product. When someone proofreads their own work, they miss too many errors. This is true of everyone and is not meant as an insult. I know money can be tight but when the bad reviews appear, people won’t buy your book. When I read, I don’t have a problem with an occasional error. When I see one error after another, I quit reading and say so in my review. The plot may be terrific but if I am constantly distracted by errors in spelling, grammar, and word usage the book is a DNF.

If you include cussing in your book, don’t use the swear words as a space filler. Use them when they are appropriate. I know these words are found everywhere but if they don’t add to the story, find words that are meaningful and move the story forward.

Another thing I would like authors to know: If your book has a high percentage of good reviews, don’t worry about the few bad ones. You can’t please everybody. Don’t try. Just keep doing what you’re doing and write whatever your muse whispers to you.

On average, how many books would you read in a year?

250-300


What, if anything, puts you off reading a book?

I won’t finish reading a book if it hasn’t been properly proofread/edited. That is my biggest pet peeve. If the characters’ behavior is totally out of touch with reality(which can differ depending on the genre), I am not wasting my time. I’m not a fan of flashbacks that aren’t properly differentiated from the present. It makes the story muddled.

What is your favourite genre to read?

As you can see from my list of favorite authors, I read many genres. Including non-fiction. I don’t have a favorite genre. As long as the story is interesting, grabs my attention, keeps me turning pages, and is well-written and edited, I tend to be open to reading it. The only exceptions are horror, graphic violence, apocalyptic, and really dark stories.


What have been your top reads for the year so far?

Phoebe Reade: The Untold Story Series by Michelle Irwin
Devoted by A.D. Ellis
Married This Year Series by Tracey Pederson
Monkeys and Mayhem by Kimberly Loth
Love’s Promise by Melissa Storm
The Trouble With Tinsel by Kelly Collins
Descent by Celina Grace
As Deep As The Ocean by Serenity Woods
Save The Date by Annabeth Albert
Trouble In A Tight Dress by Lori Sjoberg
The Bet by Emma Nichols
Taking Chances by Elissa Daye
His Competent Woman by Ellen Whyte
Saying I Do by Tracey Alvarez

The Celestia Divisa Collection by Kellie McAllen



Other than reading, what are your other hobbies?

I love to travel, listen to music, color, spend too much time on Facebook, watch the St Louis Cardinals, spend time with my furbabies, and do craft projects.


What would be your dream job?

Well, I originally wanted to be an astronaut. That dream was dashed when I found out an astronaut had to have perfect vision. 🌞 My dream job would allow me to work from anywhere in the world, make enough money to travel the world, and involve books and animals. I haven’t figured out exactly what that job would be. I’m open to suggestions. 🌞



Wow!  What an interesting read :) You've given me a whole lot of new-to-me author names, so I think I'm going to have to do some research!  Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer my questions :)


Don't forget, if you or someone you know is a blogger or author who would like to be interviewed, please don't hesitate to contact the blog!  I love getting to know a little bit more about everyone!

3 comments: