Stacey's bookshelf: read

The Fault in Our Stars
Gone Girl
Beautiful Disaster
Hopeless
Angels & Demons
Blindsighted
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
Triptych
Twilight
The Hunger Games
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Fifty Shades of Grey
Message in a Bottle
The Notebook
The Host
Angels' Blood
My Sister's Keeper
Good in Bed


Stacey Broadbent's favorite books »

Friday, 23 June 2017

Review: Painted

Painted Painted by Kirsten McKenzie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I saw that fellow New Zealand author, Kirsten McKenzie had written a horror, I jumped at the chance to read it! I’m a sucker for anything that will have me on the edge of my seat, and this book did that.

First of all, I’d just like to touch on the wonderful writing style of Kirsten. This book was so beautifully written, with such attention to detail, you couldn’t help but feel as though you were right there with the characters. She painted such an eerie picture of the house and its surroundings, and don’t get me started on the creepy artwork.

What I loved about this book was how it played out almost like a movie, where small things would happen but go unnoticed by the characters in the beginning. The fleeting shadows behind them, the objects shifting, the paintings… well, you’ll just have to read to see what happens with the paintings.

There seem to be twists and turns everywhere in this book, and I love that! The ending was something I didn’t see coming either, which doesn’t often happen for me, but this was not predictable at all. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything quite like this before, and it makes such a nice change. I will definitely be looking out for more books by Kirsten McKenzie!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment