Stacey's bookshelf: read

The Fault in Our Stars
Gone Girl
Beautiful Disaster
Hopeless
Angels & Demons
Blindsighted
Digital Fortress
Deception Point
Triptych
Twilight
The Hunger Games
Divergent
The Maze Runner
Fifty Shades of Grey
Message in a Bottle
The Notebook
The Host
Angels' Blood
My Sister's Keeper
Good in Bed


Stacey Broadbent's favorite books »

Wednesday, 14 June 2017

Review: Tough Love

Tough Love Tough Love by Max Henry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the first of Max Henry's books I have read, and it won't be the last. I'm giving this 4.5 stars!

Tough Love touches on some pretty tough subjects; bullying, abuse, death, regret, self-loathing, forgiveness, and guilt. I think the author did a fantastic job at tackling all of these subjects without trivialising anything.

In this book we meet Amelia as her world is set to change. A family crisis means that she has to reconnect with the people who, when times got tough, weren't there to support her. I can't even begin to imagine how that would feel, but I think the author portrayed it very well.

I enjoyed watching Amelia slowly crawl out from under her veil of hate, guilt and numbness, all of which were justified. I think I would have reacted the same way had I been in her shoes. Seeing her come to terms with things and finally start putting those feelings behind her was quite uplifting.

I also have to give mention to the story being set in New Zealand! Being a fellow kiwi, I always love finding these little gems. There's nothing quite like reading a book set in familiar territory.

All in all, Tough Love was a well written story that I really enjoyed. I look forward to reading more from this author!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment